"Holy Mother of Oats! I turn my back for five minutes (that's how long it takes to admire my lovely back) and the interweb goes banoonoos! Isn't there any ACTUAL news to get wrong? Sorry about all this; it might be best if I just stay off the computer for a while. Or just glut the feed with wild conjecture. Hmm, let's see... I'm me, so... let's glut! Here are some ABSOLUTELY TRUE statements of factiness. Gentlemen, start your websites..."
-Joss Whedon, http://whedonesque.com/comments/11513#144407
See? This is why Joss is my hero.
I had another Highlander dream the other night. That brings my total to four. It was about Duncan and Tessa in Renaissance Italy (or somewhere like it, anyway) except they weren’t in period dress. Duncan was trying to convince Tessa why he couldn’t love her, because she’s not an immortal and he didn’t want to love her just to lose her. Of course, the fact that part of the dream was the same argument, but in modern times, means that she lived a couple hundred years anyway, so the argument was more or less moot. *Shakes head* Don’t ask me what’s going on there.
Oh yeah, some school based gossip. There is a man in both of my classes who I don’t know well. When he speaks in class, he tends to say odd-ball stuff, but I didn’t think much of it. A few days ago, one of my friends (who is in this guy’s group in one of the classes) told me that while they worked together he made frequent remarks about how she, and the two other gals in the group, were hotties. He also made a lot of inappropriate remarks in group e-mails – one example is the time he e-mailed everyone a poem about boobs. No joke. Mind you, my retelling of the situation is not at all detailed and rather more G-rated than what my friend told me.
The point is, he made her so uncomfortable that when he sent an essay to the group about hysteria – i.e. detailing all the gruesome details of how it used to be “treated” (for those who aren’t aware, hysteric women were sent to the doctor and hooked up to vibrators or manually “treated” by the doctor) as in more porno than academic essay – that she approached the professor who he was going to turn the essay in to, and the professor told him it was not appropriate to share with the class (which is what we usually do). He did not come to class that night at all. So, my friend, that professor, and the chair of the English department are discussing the situation. We’ll see what happens.
In other news, I watched Mrs. Dalloway last night. Perhaps I was just tired, perhaps I was just bored, but either way I fell asleep before I got to the end. Basically, I missed Mrs. Dalloway’s actual party. Funny, eh? I thought about watching the last part again this morning, but couldn’t bring myself to do it. No interest at all. I haven’t gotten all that far into the book yet, but I’m thinking the fault lies in the structure. Namely, I don’t think it’s all that translatable.
This is a collaborative blog. Well, let's face it, they all are. But, specifically, this one's a collaboration between me, my friend Camii, and sometimes my brother. Here you'll find waitressing stories, bar quotes, movie reviews, and the occasional cake.
Friday, October 06, 2006
Mrs. Dalloway, Highlander Dream, and Hysteria
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment