"That's a hell of a Christmas Present."
-Keith, after I told him.
Got a call from my mom last night - bad news. Bear with me just a moment while I set up the relationships:
My brother, Casey, has a friend who he's known since Day Care: Jason, whose dad, Roger, works with my mom.
Casey has another friend whose sister Alisha had a baby with Jason.
My mom called to tell me what Roger told her-the baby died. Alisha fed the baby and put the baby to bed. When she checked on the baby later, the baby was blue. SIDS.
Thus, last night my brother was reunited with people he hasn't seen in a while. He spent the evening with Jason, Alisha, and the family. Mom told me how, when Alisha came to pick Casey up, she walked in, grabbed him, and didn't let go for a good five minutes.
Movie Review: The Man Who Cried. A fitting movie to talk about, given the phone call from last night. It's an artistic film with wonderful music. It skirts WWII while at the same time addressing a lot of its issues - namely racial and religious prejudice. On the DVD "production notes" is a blurb that talks about the film maker's inspiration for the movie - remembering those who lost people they loved. Christina Ricci, Johnny Depp, Cate Blanchett, and John Tuturro star. Highlight: The songs which are always lovely and often haunting.
On a lighter note: I also got in touch with a friend I don't see much. Monday night I got a phone message from my friend Cassie, who I went to middle & high school with and who's now in Ft. Collins at CSU. Yesterday we had lunch, did a bit of shopping, and caught up. It was nice to see her again. Out of all the people I went to high school with, she's one of the few I've kept in touch with. The other three have extenuating circumstances. For instance, one's my brother.
This is a collaborative blog. Well, let's face it, they all are. But, specifically, this one's a collaboration between me, my friend Camii, and sometimes my brother. Here you'll find waitressing stories, bar quotes, movie reviews, and the occasional cake.
Wednesday, January 03, 2007
Seeing Old Friends
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment