This is a collaborative blog. Well, let's face it, they all are. But, specifically, this one's a collaboration between me, my friend Camii, and sometimes my brother. Here you'll find waitressing stories, bar quotes, movie reviews, and the occasional cake.

Friday, July 07, 2006

Weddings, Weddings, Weddings

Willow: Buffy, it's hideous. Oh my god, Buffy. Look at its arms!
Buffy: I know. But it's my duty. I'm... Buffy the bridesmaid.
Buffy, “Hell’s Bells”

So, the Jayne & Sean wedding is tomorrow. Coincidentally, another member of the university English majors is having her big day tomorrow. Kathy, the professor I’m working for on campus is a bridesmaid in the second wedding. Jayne = laid back bride. Other gal = Bridezilla. I just got a whole tirade on the other gal and damn, I’m impressed. Let me a brief comparison.

Jayne’s wedding requirements
Dress: $75.00
Shoes: Whatever (Borrowed from my mom)
Hair: Whatever
Rehearsal: Followed by Pirates of the Caribbean viewing (Tickets courtesy of the maid of honor)
Total Bridesmaid cost: $145, including gifts and a necklace I made for Jayne.

Bridezilla’s wedding requirements
Dress: $400.00 strapless (“Like I have anything to hold up a strapless dress!”)
Shoes: Silver stiletto sandals (“I can’t even walk”)
Hair: Bouffant (“I told her to kiss my ass”)
Rehearsal: Dressed up dress rehearsal (Me: what’s the point of that? Kathy: Don’t even get me started)
Total Bridesmaid cost: Roughly $1,000 and I don’t know if that includes a gift.

All I can say is damn.

My guy and I have talked about getting married and about how exactly that’s going to work. Our plan is to go to the courthouse with the fewest number of people possible, probably just our parents and siblings. After we sign the paper, we go home and have friends over for a BBQ. Neither of us wants the boredom of a formal ceremony nor the stress of a formal to-do. This plan means we still get to hang out with friends and family, but we don’t have to stress about all the typical details like flower arrangements, catering, what I’m going to wear, etc.

Let’s face it folks, the wedding is one day. The important part is what comes after, right? The marriage part that lasts, in theory, the rest of your life.

No comments:

www.flickr.com