This is a collaborative blog. Well, let's face it, they all are. But, specifically, this one's a collaboration between me, my friend Camii, and sometimes my brother. Here you'll find waitressing stories, bar quotes, movie reviews, and the occasional cake.

Tuesday, June 20, 2006

"Never fall in love with a woman who sells herself."

“Please tell me you're not one of Toulouse's oh so talented, charmingly bohemian, tragically impoverished writers?” Satine, Moulin Rouge

I did it. I got my butt in gear yesterday and did some writing. Mostly I transcribed from my notebook, but then I added a bit more and ended up with a word count of 627. Nothing awe-inspiring, I admit, but a heck of a lot better than nothing at all. I’ve got about 3,500 more words to go by this weekend so that I can turn in a decent submission for the Writer’s Group so Jayne doesn’t get mad at me. She said she would have a submission this month, too. I hope she doesn’t wimp out on me, then I’d have to give her a lot of grief.

Speaking of Jayne…Jayne (not my friend) is a character from the show Firefly. He’s an uncouth mercenary type who is designed to always do the wrong/inappropriate thing and who people immediately love because of it.

Jayne: "Well I don't like the idea of someone hearing what I'm thinking."

Inara: "No one likes the idea of hearing what you're thinking."

Last night my guy called me and said that on the game GuildWars there is a special baddie named Jayne who drops a unique item, a hammer named Vera. How do ya like that, Browncoats?


Movie Review: This post definitely has a prostitution theme. I promise, it wasn’t intentional. Adding to it, the movie I watched yesterday, Dangerous Beauty. It’s about a courtesan named Veronica Franco (played by Catherine McCormack), a real woman who lived in Venice from 1546-1591. The plot starts with introducing the love interest, a senator named Marco Venier (Rufus Sewell). She’s not rich enough to marry him, so her mom suggests another way of having him. The setting is gorgeous, the costuming well-done, the acting is good, and there are wonderful lines, like when Maffio Venier (Oliver Platt) says to Veronica, “It must be interesting to be in a room full of men, most of whom you've seen with their pants down.” The big climax gets a bit cheesy, but they earned a bit of melodrama there. The historical details are interesting, as are the bits of Franco’s poetry they use as voiceover.

No comments:

www.flickr.com