This is a collaborative blog. Well, let's face it, they all are. But, specifically, this one's a collaboration between me, my friend Camii, and sometimes my brother. Here you'll find waitressing stories, bar quotes, movie reviews, and the occasional cake.

Tuesday, May 22, 2007

Another Reason Joss is My Hero

"I’ve always had a bent towards apocalyptic fiction, and I’m beginning to understand why. I look and I see the earth in flames. Her face was nothing but red."
-Joss Whedon, http://whedonesque.com/comments/13271#more

I don't know if he planned it that way or not, but by adding the last sentence, Joss had a very poetic (if horrifying) moment in his post, which addresses a home video of an arab girl being beaten to death in an "honor killing." He makes an excellent point too, that while the act in and of itself is terrible, the fact that there were people who could calmly stand by and record it on their cell phone cameras is all that much worse. It's horrifying what people are capable of.

Okay, but why does this reaffirm Joss's hero status? Well, while his outrage and horror at the event are no more than I would expect from any intelligent and feeling person, he has the extra responsibility of being famous. And, he steps up to the plate and uses his fame for something more than promoting his next project. I have to give kudos to all celebrities who champion causes and speak out against the things that are wrong in the world. With all that influence and press, they ought to be doing something productive with it. Joss knows this, and that's exactly what he does.

No comments:

www.flickr.com