I'm always pleased when I can work certain people into conversation. Neil Gaiman, Joss Whedon, Eddie Izzard... If I see an opening, I'll go for it. They are just that cool.
Last night as I was working on my plan for class today, I got to thinking: We're talking all about stereotypes and, especially, how film makers use accents to help with character development (i.e. American accents are good, German accents are bad), and media aids are always fun. In the essay I assigned my students, "Teaching Children How to Discriminate" by Rosina Lippi-Green, she briefly mentions how we don't mind when Robin Hood has an American accent, but a British-accented US president would never work. Wait a minute! Eddie talks about that too!
A quick trip to youtube later, and I picked out a couple of clips which, technology willing, I'll be subjecting my Comp. students to this morning. It'll be great. I'll just preface it with, "Remember how in the essay, she says... Well, this is along those same lines. And yes, he is wearing lipstick."
This is a collaborative blog. Well, let's face it, they all are. But, specifically, this one's a collaboration between me, my friend Camii, and sometimes my brother. Here you'll find waitressing stories, bar quotes, movie reviews, and the occasional cake.
Friday, February 22, 2008
Eddie and Comp.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment