This is a collaborative blog. Well, let's face it, they all are. But, specifically, this one's a collaboration between me, my friend Camii, and sometimes my brother. Here you'll find waitressing stories, bar quotes, movie reviews, and the occasional cake.

Wednesday, March 07, 2007

Ewan McGregor's Pink Bits and Chet, the Huge Shaved Cat

Nagiko: Where is a book before it is born? Who are a book's parents? Does a book need two parents - a mother and a father? Can a book be born inside another book? Where is the parent book of books? How old does a book have to be before it can give birth?
-The Pillow Book (Possibly, the best lines from the entire damn movie)

Movie Review: The Pillow Book. Weird-ass movie. Even a whole day after watching this movie, I’m still not positive whether I liked it or just thought it was okay. The beginning was overly-artsy with lots of a shot within a shot, color strangeness, and such. It mellowed as things went on, but never disappeared entirely. These are the type of things that may get comments like “lush” and “multi-layered” from other people, but leave me thinking “how much of that was really necessary?” Gotta love Ewan McGregor, though, and I’m not just talking about the nudity. Why is he such an exhibitionist, anyway? McGregor is the only big name actor I can think of who shows off his intimate parts in more than one movie. Maybe it’s a British thing. Vivian Wu does a neat job as Nagiko, and there are some pretty and poetic moments in the movie. I also dig the touch of having words in various languages lit onto the background of many shots. The most brilliant part? The Jerome book.

Book Review: You Suck! A Love Story by Christopher Moore. Funny vampire stuff, with goth girl diary excerpts. Also interesting for its connection to two other Moore books, Bloodsucking Fiends and A Dirty Job – of which, I’ve only read the second. Some authors don’t build books off each other, some do. Moore is the second kind, which is fun. While I’ll ready any Moore book I can find, this isn’t his best. Still, it’s far from bad. In other news, I just found out he has a blog.

No comments:

www.flickr.com