This is a collaborative blog. Well, let's face it, they all are. But, specifically, this one's a collaboration between me, my friend Camii, and sometimes my brother. Here you'll find waitressing stories, bar quotes, movie reviews, and the occasional cake.

Monday, October 22, 2007

All About Themes

On the other blog, I've been on a kick talking about themes. We all have them, whatever we're making. My featured jewelry this week is a few pendants in the same theme. I like trees, can you tell? With jewelry and art in particular, the interesting thing about themes is the variation.

Right now I'm also on braided things kick, and of the necklaces I've made during the binge, three are braids. I like the way the texture works, both when you have strands of the same thing (I made one of coral chips) and strands of different things (coral, shell, glass). They're chunkier necklaces than I've tended to make before, but fun by way of branching out and expanding my comfort zone. One of them might even work for Katherine's Christmas shopping.

Another thing you'll also see a lot of in my work is silver. I love my spacers. They're so nice for adding length, texture, and tend to dress things up. Themes, patterns, motifs. There's no escaping them.


P.S. On the pendants, the surface color all comes from gold and copper pearlescent powder + TLS. The differences you see in saturation, tone, and gloss mostly come from how much TLS I used. The two diamond pendants are the best example of this since I even used the same coloring (gold in the middle, copper on the edge). With the one on the top right, I painted on TLS that had the powder mixed right into it - thus the greater saturation - and the gloss comes from using my old toaster oven instead of my regular oven, and it gets very hot very fast. Greater heat, greater gloss. On the bottom left I put TLS on the pendant, then stippled powder into it on top.


No comments:

www.flickr.com